Layered ArchitectureThe book has now been published and the content of this chapter has likely changed substanstially.
Structure the software that composes an application into a series of layers each with defined responsibilities.
There is not shortage of write-ups of the Layered Architecture pattern although some go by slightly different names or specify a particular number or set of layers. Here are just a few to choose from:
- Layered Architecture in Eric Evan's excellent book on Domain Driven Design [DDD].
- Layered Architecture from the article "E++; A pattern language for J2EE applications" at http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2001/jw-0420-eplus-p3.html
- A page on Ward Cunningham's original "wiki web" at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FourLayerArchitecture
- Microsoft's version is at http:// msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpatterns/html/ArcThreeLayeredSvcsApp.asp
- Alistair Cockburn has an interesting spin on Layered Architectures: Hexagonal Architecture[WWW]
- Martin Fowler's Service Layer[PEAA] in [PEAA] is one of the layers.
Copyright © 2003-2008 Gerard Meszaros all rights reserved